Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Man


This post is all about Tyler. He is such a funny kid!! He never ceases to amaze me. A few weeks ago Tyler made his First Reconciliation. All the way to church we we helping him "cram" last minute. He told us that he was a little nervous but he would be okay. After Father speaks and we pray he invites the 2nd graders to their first confession. All the kids one by one shrink back behind their parents. You can hear words of encouragement being whispered from parent to child. I start to say something to Tyler but look up ans see him hightailing it to confession. He never looked back and walked with confidence. It brought tears to my eyes.
After confession I needed to speak with his Religion Teacher. When I spoke to her she commented to me about how bright Tyler is. She said that he is always the first person to raise his hand and answer questions. She commented on his eagerness to learn all that he can during class. I was quite the proud Momma on that day!!


Just when you think you are sheltering your child you have a conversation like this.... We were all having a nice family meal out and everyone was well behaved.(Thankfully) Somehow the conversation was about Justin Timberlake.
Tyler: So he is good now?
Jeff: Well, T.I wrote the song. It was T.I who has changed his life, he makes better choices now.
Tyler: What did he do that was bad?
Jeff: I am not sure.
Tyler:interrupts and says Like hit his girlfriend?
Me:Whoa, who hits their girlfriend?
Tyler: Chris Brown

I later learn where he learned it, from a friend. This conversation just solidified the fact that our children are always listening and learning. I took this as an opportunity to explain that men should never hurt women. Jeff and I were shocked that our second grader was aware of this awful thing.


Another funny conversation during dinner. We were all at the table eating Parmesan chicken and pasta the conversation went like this:

Jeff:You need to eat your food so you get strong
Trenner:How do you get strong from eating chicken?
Tyler: You get the chicken's strength, the strength that the chicken had.
Jeff: No, you don't get the chickens strength you get the nutrients from the meat of the chicken...
Tyler: That's funny for all these years I believed that you got the chicken's strength.
Jeff: Tyler, you are so cute!
Tyler: No, I am a man and men are not cute. I AM A MAN!! (then he points at Brynlie and says,)that is cute, a baby is cute. Not me I am a Man!
Me: Ahhh!!
Tyler: What now you are sad cause your little boy is growing up into a man?

What could I say? How do you tell an 8 year old that he is not yet a man. I just smiled and called and told his Papaw. I love Tyler. He is my little MAN!!





No comments: