Brynlie has been battling respiratory illnesses for about 2 weeks now. We had been giving her nebulizer treatments every four hours as well as steroids twice a day but with no improvement. She woke up Tuesday morning retracting and struggling to breathe. I have had much experience with asthma but Brynlie's breathing scared me on Tuesday morning. I took her to her pediatrician who admitted her immediately. She struggled to stay off oxygen the first night with her oxygen saturation hanging in the low 80's and right at 90. The chest x-ray showed that part of her left lung was deflated, caused by infection. They tried to start and iv. After the 12th stick they were successful, for a few hours. After one dose of an intravenous steroid the iv that was placed in her foot had come out. They struggled to place another iv in Brynlies other foot and had to call the NICU for reinforcements. After 45 long minutes in the treatment room they brought my baby back to me. I promise that was the longest 45 minutes ever!! That iv lasted a little longer thankfully but eventually blew her vein causing her ankle to swell up horribly.The third time is the charm. The evening shift nurse was able to get Brynlie's iv started on the first stick this enabled her to receive 3 more doses of medicine to get her lungs a bit healthier before it too blew her vein in her foot. My baby looks abused. She has multiple bruises from all the sticks on her hands and feet, and arms. Despite, all the iv trouble I feel very blessed to have been st St. Mary's. The nurses are so great and helpful. I love the respiratory therapists too!! Tuesday evening Jeff brought the kids up to see me when he brought me my change of clothes. Trenner walked in and immediately I knew that something was wrong.... I had the nurse take his temperature and sure enough 103!! Seriously.
I called after hours and made him an appointment. Jeff had to take him because Brynlie was not allowing me to leave her sight after the traumatic day she had experienced. This was not a comfortable position for me to be in. I am the only one who takes care of my kids when they are sick. I felt very torn between my babies. Trenner ended up with the flu. They said the rest of us should have it by Friday if we are going to get it, now there is something to look forward to:)
After my 2nd restless night in the hospital I was very happy when the doctor said we could go home. We have a list of orders, appointments,and medicines but home is good. Thankfully, Brynlie is getting better every day. We are lucky for that.
2 comments:
Bless your heart! I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
Oh my goodness Jen! I feel so bad for you guys, but glad to know that things are getting better. I cannot believe how much Brynlie looks like Trenner in that picture. May God bless you all!
Post a Comment