Last week I had a mad dash of Valentines Parties to be sure I made each one. I had a great time seeing my kids enjoy their friends. Ansley's school never ceases to amaze me on the things they do. I love to visit and spend time there. Trenner's class is also fun to visit. This time I was caught a bit off guard by how mean kids can be at a very young age. Trenner is only in first grade. I was working a station making Valentine puppets and these boys came to the table. I had Brynlie sitting in her stroller next to me. One boy looked over and said, " She is creepy." I ignored this knowing that they couldn't be talking about my baby. The other boy then leaned over and said directly to me, "She is creepy! Look, at her." Okay, here I am in my son's 1st grade class with first graders telling me my beautiful baby is creepy. I am about 5 seconds from going into "MAMA MODE". I collect myself thankfully, and decide that I must have heard these hooligans wrong. I am trying to quickly think of how to react to this without overreacting. They say it again in a taunting way.
I simply say,"My baby is creepy to you?"
They say: She is very creepy.
I say: I don't think she is creepy I think she is sweet.
They say: No she is creepy.
I am out of words. I ignore the boys and pray the next 5 minutes go quickly. The teacher and mother in me wanted to give a nice quick to the point lecture to them about, "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything." But I didn't. I didn't want Trenner to hear them say this because it would have hurt him. Just as I was convincing myself that Trenner would never play with these awful mean kids one of the boys looks over and asks me if Ansley can have some candy. I say yes and the mean kid gives a piece to my daughter. I guess kids will be kids...
I assumed Ansley was not listening to that conversation. I had actually hoped she wasn't. I did not want her sad about what these boys had said. On the way out we are talking and I had said to another Mom that this upset me. I said that I wasn't sure of their names. Ansley then says," The one next to you with the blond hair and red shirt was ****** *******. The boy next to him was*********** ********. Wow! Either she was paying close attention or she is amazing with details.
2 comments:
I can't believe you held your tongue...I'm afraid I would have "politely" said something. And for the record, Brynlie certainly is NOT creepy!
Thanks. I can't believe that I let a first grader hurt my feelings:)
Post a Comment